25 March 2011

Q&A...the healer's path

Q. I've been on a spiritual path for 3 years, and have been studying a variety of healing modalities. That work is my passion, and I would love to do it full time, but I can't afford to do that. I'm 35, and worry that I won't find my life mate. Is there anything I can do to find someone and also do more healing work? I want to help people, and it really makes me happy. Am I on the right path? What can I do to advance?

A. I can empathize with your situation. I still only do this part-time, I didn't meet my husband until I was in my 30's and about 5 years after I began a path of spirituality.


So my first impulse is to reassure you that you are doing just fine...making your living doing healing work isn't a requirement. In fact, it could be you are being kept in those other situations to bring your healing presence there...like that old saying "bloom where you are planted". You financial situation may very well be putting you right where you are most needed and doing real healing on a spiritual/emotional level rather than a physical one...your outlook, your energy, your presence alone is uplifting, soothing, healing and inspiring to those around you.


I think it was Ted Andrews who said something along the lines of if we live our lives well...if we just work and care for our loved ones and just do the best we can with what we have...then we are following our spiritual journey just fine.It was in the book "How to discover your past lives" if memory serves. I don't have it here with me at the moment to give you the exact title or quote....but you get the idea.


What healing modality do you use? I work with Reiki, and just love it! So I understand why you want to do it more, and know how happy that kind of work can make you....


I know you know the basics, but have you tried applying your healing skills to yourself and your life situation? For example, daily self-treatment, even short sessions, are often recommended for Reiki practitioners, to keep our energy up, and better let us serve others.


Also there is a little Reiki sort of ritual that my husband and I adapted that worked really well for us. I have a hunch it might be helpful to you too.


First, pick the one thing that weighs most on your mind...the one single thing that your intuition tells you is first on the list and is the doorway to all the other things...it could be time/finances to spend more time with your healing work. Or it may be drawing your life mate to you. Or whatever you feel is important. Although I have a hunch the two are connected...that doing your healing work will put you in the right place to meet your life mate...for this method it is important to pick just one thing at a time, and phrase it in a positive, present tense way. I find it helpful to write or focus only on a word or short phrase, like "healing work" or "prosperity" or "soulmate".


You might even want to write it down on a piece of paper. Then hold that piece of paper...or at least that one laser-focused idea in your hands, and send healing energy to it, just as you would in any healing session....be it Reiki or otherwise. Put your love, healing and passion into it. I enjoy Taoist philosophy, so we also lit a stick of incense while we were doing this, to symbolize our desire being lifted up and then released. After giving the energy, and allowing the request to be given to the universe, we "released" it...instead of holding on to an expected outcome, we just took the attitude of asking for fulfillment in whatever way is the "loving highest and best" as one of my old teachers used to say.


Repeat this for seven or 21 days in a row, whichever feels right to you. Don't skip a day...if you do, clear, and then restart the process. 7 days is easier (and I think just as effective) as the longer series. After one series, rest for at least 7 days, and during that time focus on being patient and trusting the universe is unfolding as it should. Then you can repeat the process for other concerns as your intuition guides you.


Since you are advanced along the spiritual path, I feel guided to do a one card meditation type of reading for you. I'll pull one card, but I'd like you to meditate on it for a bit, and see what your own intuition gives you about it too. You have good skills in that way too, and they shouldn't be left out of this process.


That being said, I also feel guided to say that you are on the right path...this card is just an idea to help you advance further along that right-way.


The card that came up is the 4 of swords, meaning flexibility. The reminds me of the old adage about the willow that bends can not break, even in a strong wind. Keeping an open mind about when an how you serve will open up many more opportunities for you to do just exactly that...there will be more ways for you to follow your passion. Here I 'see' a fan or a tree like shape, with much opening and branching out from the point where you are now, as if this is only the beginning of an expanding life path.


I am also reminded of something another teacher told me "All changes, even the most longed for, require that we die to one life before we can be born into another." ~Joy Star
Is there something from your "old" life, before you began the spiritual path 3 years ago, that is holding you back, or is there something that is painful or difficult to release? Moving along the spiritual, healing path often requires that we let go of our old self image, and adopt a new one...to really start thinking of ourselves as 'healer' instead of 'student' 'worker' or whatever old identities may have become ingrained. That is why meditation is so often recommended in this life path...it helps you see old thought habits that may or may not serve you now. Here again, flexibility like the 4 of swords suggests can be helpful.


I am also reminded of a quote by Walter Lubeck, a respected Reiki Teacher..."give yourself permission to be strange". Being a healer means being out of the crowd and off the beaten path...even for mainstream medical doctors. There is an element of "different" in the healers of every culture and time.


I hope this helps a little bit. I certainly wish you all the best as you travel the healing path!


No comments: